Farol has traditionally operated in the animal rendering industry, directly promoting the sustainability of Brazilian agribusiness. It contributes towards the processing of millions of tonnes of animal slaughter byproducts (viscera, feathers, blood, meat and bone waste), which are primarily transformed into raw materials for the animal feed industry (meals and oils).
The company is now innovating in the recycling of agribusiness waste products (floating and biological sludges, poultry beds, ashes, incubator waste and silo sweepings) using technified composting systems. Composting is a biotechnology that yields benefits both from the environmental viewpoint, since it negates the need to deposit organic materials in sanitary landfills; and in terms of food security, through the production of an organic fertilizer that favors the recycling of nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium...), used in farming, and closes the productive chain cycle.
- To continuously improve the company’s environmental performance through an environmental management system;
- To sustainably use all raw materials and natural resources (water, soil, wood) that the company uses in its production;
- To research into the environmental impacts of the raw materials, products, processes, emissions and waste associated to the company’s activities, in order to act preemptively with regards to environmental pollution, with an emphasis on liquid effluents and solid waste, by treating and reducing their sources and promoting recycling whenever possible;
- To carry out maintenance work and reduce all types of leakages of machine oil, effluents, waste products, or any type of material that may contaminate or harm the environment;
- To comply with the applicable environmental legislation, regulatory standards and other requirements associated with the company and its environmental obligations;
- To manage and minimize environmental, health and safety risks for all workers and the local community, in order to guarantee an environment that is acceptable for everybody involved in the company’s activity;
- To communicate about environmental issues with all interested parties;
- To carry out training, qualification and awareness programs, and to open a dialog about the environment, health and safety with all the company’s internal collaborators dealing with the needs for improvement, potential risks and environmental impacts of activities, products, waste materials and services, so that they can carry out their activities in a correct, sustainable manner;
- To make resources available for implementing and improving the equipment installed in the company, in order to enable continuous improvement in processes that relate to the use of natural resources and reduction in effluents, waste products and process anomalies;
- To draw up and define annual targets for the continuous improvement of the company’s environmental performance, reviewing and monitoring the progress towards these goals.